Specialists in Endodontics (EDA)
An EDA Specialist in Endodontics must demonstrate the following thorough knowledge.
In-depth and advanced knowledge for dental practice in the field of endodontics as well as critical evaluation of specialist literature.
Range of subjects (not exhaustive)
- Anatomy and physiology of the orofacial system;
- Aetiology, pathogenesis and epidemiology of dental defects and tooth loss;
- Aetiology, pathogenesis and epidemiology of periodontal diseases (only the basics);
- Intolerance reactions, allergies;
- Diagnostic and prognostic methods;
- Restorative diagnosis taking account of the current state of knowledge;
- Command of a synoptic therapeutic approach
(pain treatment, infection control, history-taking, initial examination, diagnosis, prognostic assessment of the teeth, further diagnostics, systematic treatment planning and treatment procedure, differential therapeutic considerations, long-term reliability of modes of treatment, recording and assessing at-risk patients and implications for planning and treatment).
- Restorative aspects of periodontics with particular focus on perio-endo lesions.
- Specific pathology of the pulp
- Specific pathology of the periodontium
- Overview of current preparation techniques
- Overview of current root filling techniques
- Endodontically relevant aspects of microbiology
- Operating techniques of surgical endodontics
- Surgically reconstructive aspects of endodontics (augmentation methods)
- Endodontically relevant aspects of traumatology (replantation, etc. )
- Specific prosthodontic restorative technique for endodontically treated teeth
- Fixed denture (particularly modern preparation principles and techniques,
- plastic, cast, ceramic and similar core build-ups, metal-supported crown and bridge restorations, metal-free crown and bridge restorations, retention of restorations, long-term prognosis and clinical evaluation of modes of treatment);
- Direct and indirect metallic, plastic, ceramic and similar reconstructions.
- Occlusal concepts, registration techniques and articulators, concepts and treatment strategies for complete dental rehabilitation
Expectations of EDA Specialists in Endodontics
EDA Specialists in Endodontics shall document their special commitment to the field of endodontics by:
- active involvement in CPD courses and scientific symposia,
- scientific papers within the bounds of possibility,
- acting as a speaker or trainer in their specialist field,
- active involvement in the basic and further training of specialist dental nurses/dental technicians,
- work on the Board and in committees of the EDA.